Sunday, February 28, 2010

yummy food

Yesterday Steve and I went to get a new crockpot since it just doesn't make sense for me to make meals for two people in a 7 qt. crockpot. It just makes it more difficult for me to gauge how much to make.

We came home with a 5 qt pot that has these handy little clips on the side to hold the lid on if I need to take it anywhere. I imagine this will really come in handy for tailgating or family get togethers.

To break it in I decided to try out a recipy I got from Prevention RD's blog for Spicy Jumbalaya:
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef or chicken broth
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
2 medium green peppers, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
3 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
2 teaspoons dried basil
1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes (I left this out)
1 pound 14 ounces turkey smoked sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices (I used pork sausage)
1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 cups dry brown rice, prepared
(I also added about 1/4 cup Worchestire sauce)
Directions:
In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, broth and tomato paste. Stir in the green peppers, onion, celery, garlic and seasonings. Stir in chicken and sausage.
Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is tender. Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook 15-30 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice.
Yield: 11 servings.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
It was INCREDIBLE! Steve has already eaten some of the leftovers for lunch today. I plan on taking some for lunch this week. I will say though, this is a spicy dish. If you are a spice wimp then I would approach this meal with caution.
One of the best parts of this dish? If you follow the recipe as it appears on the blog then it only has 349 calories per serving! This is definitely a healthy eating win.

1 comment: