Friday, February 26, 2010

supporting the Fallen Heroes of Georgia

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Yesterday this cute little piece of awesome-sauce arrived in the mail with four safety pins and a note about the event. It's my runners bib for the Fallen Heroes of Georgia 5K that I will be running April 10th! The only other time I can remember having such a strong reaction to a piece of paper was when I got my marriage license.

The note thanked me for registering and asked me to do all I can to spread the word about the event... hence this blog entry.

Although I have talked about this 5K for a while now I really want everyone to understand that this race is so much more than a randomly selected event to mark the end of my C25K training. I specifically chose this race for a few different reasons:

1) It is being held at the resort I used to work at back in high school, in the town where I grew up. I have a lot of insecurities tied to that place and I feel that by doing this 5K there and making a strong, happy memory and personal accomplishment there then I'll be able to let those insecurities go. At least a few of them anyway.

2) All of the proceeds go to helping the children and immediate family members of special forces military personnel who have been wounded or killed in the war in Iraq and Afghanistan since 9/11. I have a lot of family and friends in the military, including my little brother, who have served overseas in this war. I am blessed that all of them have come back safe and sound and cannot even begin to imagine the heartache of the families who aren't so lucky. Running this 5K is my way of showing my gratitude to those who have made sacrifices for my safety and the safety of this country.

3) I don't know anyone who will be participating or volunteering with this event. When I am out on the course I will be on my own and responsible for motivating and encouraging myself. I love my family and am sure that seeing them at the finish line waiting for me will feel great... but the 3.1 miles it takes me to reach them are completely and totally about me and achieving something totally on my own.

I'm really excited about this race and it only increases the closer it gets. Having the bib is really boosting my motivation for training too!

No comments:

Post a Comment