Wednesday, December 15, 2010

sunshine, lollipops and rainbows

Okay, that might be an exaggeration, but I really do feel amazing!

I still have the cold that I caught shortly after surgery. I still have some pain in my abdomen where the incisions were made. I'm still having to take things slowly.

However, last night I ate greek chicken for dinner and didn't feel like I was going to die! This is huge for me. I haven't had chicken in almost two months and it's been at least September since I had greek yogurt. Both tasted amazing and it made me happy to know that my body is getting back to a good place.

This mornign I tried out some regular (non-decaf) coffee in the form of a peppermint mocha from Starbucks. The experiment was not really a success considering I had to make a run to the bathroom shortly after drinking it, but I'm not going to let it get me down. It's been less than a week since surgery and as yummy as peppermint mochas are, they aren't exactly low fat or low in sugar... two things the doctor recommended I stick to for a while.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm feeling very optimistic. I feel like this surgery was a huge step in the right direction toward me being healthy again and I'm looking forward to my new beginning with this.

That being said, I sort of feel like this is a bit of a wake up call. Gallbladders go wonky for a variety of reasons, but I'm 99% sure mine was because of the abuse I had put my system through in the past few years. Between straight up starving myself in college to the increase in fatty foods over the last three years, I was not kind to my body... my digestive system in particular. I think this may be a good time for both Steve and I to make healthier choices in our lives with a focus on what we put into our bodies.

I'm really looking forward to after Christmas when I've been cleared by the doctor to start exercising again. I plan to do the couch to 5K program again and return to running as well as get back into playing tennis with Steve. The new year is bringing us a ton of changes and I am really going to give it my best to make them all positive ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment