Sunday, September 26, 2010

Settle in, this is a long one

It's been a bit of a crazy weekend, and it's only mid day on Sunday still.

Yesterday included a few errands, obedience school for Finn, grocery shopping and LOTS of baking on my part.

Steve requested strawberry cupcakes after reading a facebook status about strawberry buttercream frosting. So, being the loving wife that I am, I looked up a recipe (thank you Annies-eats.com!) and made sure to add the inngredients we didn't already have to my grocery list. After quite a long and involved process, we had success!

The cake part is just a vanilla cupcake with chunks of fresh strawberries, and the frosting is homemade strawberry buttercream. It was first time using cheesecloth and ended up being a huge mess... but a fun one! The end result was some really good treats! I'm taking the excess to work since I really don't need a dozen cupcakes just for myself.

After the cupcakes were finished I got inspired to go ahead and try the other recipe I have been sitting on for a few days, cranberry orange scones.

(I'll be adding pictures of both of these soon)

I got this recipe from TasteofHome.com after searching for weeks to find a good one that wasn't loaded with tons of fats and calories. I have gotten into the habit of taking a muffin and tea for breakfast at work in and effort to curb my desire to stop at starbucks on my way in. Their cranberry orange scone is my kryptonite... especially when paired with a chai tea latte. I had hoped that by finding a good recipe for a mufffin version I could avoid the extra calories.

Low and behold, this recipe definitely fits the bill! It has a great texture, only about 160 calories each (according to myfitnesspal.com's recipe calculator), and is full of the flavor I love so much in the scones. I will definitely be making these again and will not be sharing them with my coworkers.

Finally, this morning I made some changes to my running playlist and got out for a couple miles in the neighborhood. I've had a really hard time lately being able to deal with things around me and running has become like therapy. Pushing my body to move like that pretty much forces my mind to leave everythign else and focus on the task at hand. As a result, the music I listen to as I work through my stuff has gotten a bit harder and more intense. Some of the old favorites are still there, but there has been a distinct shift in tone as a whole. Notice the list on the left.

This past week was really difficult for me. This weekend was a bit of a recharge (although it's being cut short by a day) and next weekend is a three day weekend for me with my family at the beach. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment