Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The naked test?

I had a discussion with ym doctor today to go over my ultrasound results again. After looking at it again the doctor noticed that my galbladder was slightly inflamed so he has scheduled me to go in for what is called a HIDA scan.

As a good patient, I made my way over to google after I got off the phone with him and found this helpful page on the MAYO Clinic website which explains what that particular test involves.

Basically, I have to fast for about 8 hours prior to the test and then a radiologist will hook me up to an IV of a mild radioactive indicator fluid. The fluid will be absorbed into my liver and pass through the galbladder on its way to my small intestine. While this is going on, I will be laying on a table while a gamma ray camera takes images of the indicator fluid's progress. It typically takes about 1.5 - 2 hours during which I'll have to lay completely still so I don't blur the images.

The test will show whether the bile ducts attached to my galbladder are functioning correctly and give an indication as to why it was inflamed on the ultrasound.

My appointment is scheduled for one week from today at 7am.

I'm a little nervous about it, but mostly just because I have to be almost completely naked for the duration of the test. Knowing some complete stranger is going to be sitting next to me while I hang out (pun definitely intended) on their table for 2 hours in nothing but my undies is slightly unsettling.

Still, this test will provide some important information and I'm all for gathering information that could help figure out what's going on with me. I should have the results back when I come back from Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment