Thursday, April 28, 2011

my dog thinks he's my running coach

Since getting back into running I've been taking our dog, Finn, with me. He's a shepherd breed and he needs a lot of exercise, so it really works out. Especially since he's a year old now and the vet gave us the go ahead for bringing the pup out for a run... apparently the risks of joint problems for him is much lower now than when he was a puppy.

Finn is thrilled about this. You know how I can tell? He has two harnesses, one for regular walks to go potty and etc. and another one specifically for when we go running (one of the no-pull harnesses that goes under his front legs). Since we started running he will immediately go for his running harness if it looks like I'm going outside... for any reason. When I take him to go potty he always turns toward the path we run on and looks at me with this super excited face that makes me feel so bad when I have to tell him no... like at 11pm when it's time for bed.

The days when we do run you would think I was showering him with treats or something. He just trots along in front of me with a huge puppy grin on his face the whole time. Heaven forbid I take a walk break too. If we slow down to the point that he has to walk instead of his little trot, he pouts. For those who were not aware that dogs could pout, I am here to tell you... they can... really well. Finn has also been known to whine at me when I slow my pace or walk.

It's atually a good thing though. Seeing him have so much fun makes me push myself so I don't have to see the puppy pout or hear the whining. Today we did three miles straight running. A HUGE personal victory for me.

Now I just need to get fitted for new running shoes so that the little twinges I'm feeling in my knees and ankles near the end of my runs don't turn into anything more painful.

On a completely different note... a public service announcement from me to you:

For the love of all that is holy... FLOSS!

I admit that I slacked off and just brushed my teeth at bedtime.. no flossing, no mouthwash... nothing but Crest for quite a while. Gross, I know. I'm paying for it now though! Quite literally. I shelled out a decent chunk of change this morning for a deep cleaning at the dentist because I had developed periodontal disease. It wasn't pretty. Just imagine a regular cleaning, but with boiling water being injected underneath your gums for a full hour while someone is stabbing every part of yoru mouth with sharp sticks. Ouch!

The dentist said it can all be prevented with proper daily care. From now on I will be a faithful flosser... you should be too!

No comments:

Post a Comment