Monday, August 2, 2010

One of THOSE people

You know those people who go into Starbucks and their order sounds like an essay? It takes them forever to spit it out and by the time the barista is done writing the order on the side of the cup all of the little boxes are filled in?

I've always given those people the side eye. Seriously, how hard is it to order a cup of coffee?

However, this morning, as I stopped into the Starbucks near my office and placed my order, one of the people waiting in line with me gave ME the side eye. I couldn't figure out why until the barista delivered my drink to the counter and said it back to me:

grande decaf skinny cinnimon dolce latte with soy milk.

It's official.... I am one of THOSE people.

The whole thing made me think of something Tom Hanks says as Joe Fox in You've Got Mail (potentially the best movie of all time in my book):

"The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall. Decaf. Cappuccino."

Clearly, that movie is from the 90's. MY "absolutely defining sense of self" was closer to $4. It sure is good though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment