Friday, July 5, 2013

Happy 4th!

July 4th holds a lot of really great memories for me. When I was a kid we always did something fun with family and there were definitely fireworks.

As I got older, there were more fireworks and even a few outings to Stone Mountain to watch the special laser show and fireworks.

In college there were trips to a lake house and cook outs with good friends and lots of food (ahem- and beer).

These days the celebration is a lot more low key. No more drinking games and loud parties. No more special trips to parks or special events. However, one thing remains constant: time with family.

Yesterday Steve and I took Mr. Finn with us over to my parents' house for a small family gathering to celebrate our nation's independence. The two of us, both of my brothers, my sister in law, my parents, and all five dogs spent the day eating delicious food and enjoying each other's company while avoiding the rain which prevented setting off fireworks. Well, the rain and the fact that we left our fireworks at home by accident. :)

It wasn't anything particularly significant, but it was relaxing and comforting to take the time to be with family. This year has already been a bit tough emotionally for all of us and it has served as a reminder to me to be grateful for the people you love because you never know how much longer you have with them.

I hope everyone had a wonderful, safe, and relaxing holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment