Friday, March 25, 2011

This week was awesome

This week the grandparents of the kids I take care of came to visit. Now, this family is fascinating in that the dad is Italian, literally from Italy, and the mom is Portugese, literally from Portugal, but they both spent most of their lives in South Africa. Because of this they have such an interesting perspective on life.

If I thought they were interesting before, then meeting the Italian grandparents was the home made marinara on top of the pasta.

First of all, they were incredibly warm and welcoming with me. Secondly, the grandpa showed me how to make risotto his way.

In case you didn't know, I adore food. Making it, eating it, giving it to anyone who ends up inside my house... I love food. Authentic food is the best to me though. When I go on vacation to new places I try to take some sort of cooking class so I can sample local cuisine and learn to recreate it correctly when I come home. So, the fact that this sweet little old man showed me how to make the most delicious risotto I have ever tasted completely made my day. Probably my entire month.

Sadly, they left today to spend time with other family that live in the states, but I hope to see them again soon. They made me feel like part of the family, just as my bosses do on a daily basis, and gave me more insight to the kiddos I help take care of during the week.

I wonder if I can convice the Portugese grandparents to teach me to make something if they visit?

No comments:

Post a Comment