Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Beginning of Block II

As of Monday I began my Block II classes! 

Nobody told me this prior to the beginning of classes, but apparently this block is the most difficult and demanding... at least that is what all of our professors have been saying for the last two days. Our program coordinator in particular seemed to feel it was important to tell us this so we would be prepared. Honestly though, this semester does not feel as intimidating as Block I did.

Of course, that may not have anything to do with the workload and everything to do with my own confidence level.

This is not to say that this semester will be a cake walk. We have quite a few assignments due each week and some projects that will be time consuming. It will boil down to commitment and passion for teaching just like it did last semester. What helps the situation is the fact that everything we will be doing for class is logically assigned and laid out. We don't seem to be doing anything that isn't directly related to our success in our field placements or a deeper understanding of the concepts in our textbooks. I appreciate that.

Last semester we did some interesting projects and had assignments that I found fun and exciting, but they were not necessarily something I anticipate using in my future classroom. Maybe once I get into the assignments for this semester I will feel differently, but as of right now I can see direct uses and purposes which makes it easy to find motivation and enthusiasm.

Although classes have begun, I still have a full week until my field placement starts. This makes me a bit sad because I have been so anxious to get back in the classroom, but it's just a week. Seven days from now I will finally meet and greet my first graders! I have a really fun getting-to-know-you math activity planned for them and I can not WAIT to see how they like it! Once I try it out with them I'll post more information here on the blog and let you know how it went.

By the way, I think I am going to be adding a countdown to graduation on the left side bar of the blog. If you see a countdown pop up over there, that's what it is for. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment