Saturday, October 31, 2009

Adventures in baking: pan de muertos

Happy Halloween!

I must admit, Halloween has never been one of my favorite holidays. I couldn't handle all the candy when I was little and I don't really like being scared so the haunted houses and such never appealed to me.

However, the two days after Halloween are called el dios de los muertos (the days of the dead) and it is a traditional Mexican holiday which I adore. It is basically a time to remember loved ones who have passed away and celebrate their lives. In Mexico families traditionally go to the cemetary for the day and visit the graves of the deceased with gifts of their favorite foods, marigolds, and other treats.

Pan de muertos (bread of the dead) is a traditional food eaten during el dios de los muertos. It is essentially a slightly sweet bread with an orange sugar glaxe on top. YUM!

Although neither Steve nor I are hispanic, we have embraced this holiday and look forward to celibrating it as a family through the years.

I've wanted to make pan de muertos for a while but was either too broke to afford making it or couldn't find a recipe I liked. This year I managed to get everything together in time and it turned out quite well in my opinion! I'm going to post the recipe on the July 2009 nestie cookbook for those of you who read that and if anyone else wants it leave me your email address and I'll send it to you!


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment